Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Welcome 2014 - A Year to Re-make/Remodel

This past 2013 has had its ups and downs and not just weight-wise.  I suffered through some pretty dark times and fought through those times quite a bit.  As the year was winding down, I realized there were several things I did not care for in my life.  I made a decision that only I can make those changes, so my theme for this 2014 year is to "Re-make/Remodel".

I admit, I stole the title from a Roxy Music compilation CD, but it actually describes what I need to do this year.  I need to re-make myself.  Find out what it is that I really want in life, what would make me happy and keep me out of the dark times.  Remodel describes the physical changes that need to happen.

The other day, I was watching some videos of Dawn French, a British actress/writer/comic that I have admired for years.  She had lost over 80 lbs (granted she has gained some back), but what touched me the most was how she never looked at her physical appearance as being bad.  She is truly a lovely woman who made me realize that I was not loving myself as I really should.  My weight should not matter and either out of vanity or how others think, I was not really loving the person I am.  That has to change.

Considering my situation with the type 2 diabetes, I have to carefully consider my weight.  People have suggested weight loss surgery of one type or the other.  Bottom line, I have seen the good and bad side, but the one thing that people keep saying is that they could eat anything they wanted without making huge changes.  That statement I have found is very untrue.  If you did lap band, you could not eat bread, pasta, rice, and other foods.  With gastric by-pass, you lost the ability to absorb the vitamins and such your body needs.  The short cut methods to weight loss do not allow you freedom, but take away.  I am determined to lose and keep weight off this year, but I intend on doing it slowly.  I did not get to this weight overnight and it won't be overnight for me to lose it.  I will have to gain a new level of patience for myself and quit beating myself up over mistakes.

This year, I am going to make a better effort to dress up more often and make the effort to put on make up.  Not too long ago, a friend stated that there was a time when she would not leave the house without any make up.  Now, she had her hair covered with a hat and watching a parade while wearing her pajama pants and a coat.

I thought about that vision for awhile.  A few days later, I saw some women walking their dogs in pajama pants.  I thought - no - that is not where I want to go with that.  I need to make the effort to at least put on make up and look nice.  If I can start wearing more flattering dresses, then even better.  Basically, dress it up.  I see too many people at work wearing work out clothes and I feel that I need to step up my game.

I think this will be an interesting journey.  Who knows - like Geraldine Granger, I may meet my handsome stranger this year (and he is just as sweet and wonderful as Harry Kennedy).  Now, wouldn't that be interesting?

I saw this and believe that this applies not just to the end of the year, but always:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11973/20-things-to-let-go-of-before-the-new-year.html

My daily message from God was interesting as well:

Today, we believe God wants you to know that ...

you can live in assurance and calm.

You don't need to look over your shoulder all the time, waiting for the next crisis. You don't have to spend your days hiding from the next ambush. Live in the light, God's got your back.

No comments:

Post a Comment