Thursday, January 30, 2014

Getting Past Feeling Stupid...

I do not mind the cold, but the bitter cold is really annoying.  I walked the dogs this morning and decided not to walk down to the apartment gym to walk on the treadmill.  I did pull out the walking DVD, where you do a 2 mile walk.  As I see it, 30 minutes of exercise is 30 minutes of exercise.  I was going to sweat either way.

I find it interesting that when I walk on the treadmill vs doing the DVD, I get a more rigorous workout from the DVD.  I was looking at what the FitBit registered after doing both and found that I burned more calories from doing the DVD workout.

Now, what I figure is that I may need to up my game on the treadmill.  So far I have been walking about 2.5 mph on the treadmill for 30 minutes and doing a 2 mph warm up and cool down.  Perhaps, it is time to increase it to 3 mph and see how I do.  Most people can do a mile walking a lot faster than I can.  I am not trying to compare myself to others because everyone is different, but after seeing the results on the FitBit, I may need to increase the pace a bit.

I am not sure why, but my biggest issue with following along with a DVD is that I feel so stupid.  For example, if someone were to watch me, they would probably think I was crazy.  In the gym, where people sign up for a class and such, it does not seem quite so crazy.  Why is this going through my head?  I am just trying to get the exercise into my daily routine.  As I said, 30 minutes is 30 minutes.  I am trying to do it every day, so that I can get the most benefit from the activity.

In other news, I had my review at work.  It was as I expected it, but the latest on my move to the new group is 3/1.  Now, that having been said, that date comes with strings attached. (Of course!)  The manager needs to feel comfortable about the software upgrade that will happen on 2/22.  *sigh*  Let me just add, the manager has thrown in a bucket load of changes that he wants to see implemented in production that were never suggested before this time.  Some things just never change and it is probably best I move elsewhere.

At least, I am making it through week 4 of this lifestyle change.  I just need to get the exercise habit solidified.

No comments:

Post a Comment