Monday, January 27, 2014

How Music Enhances Your Past Memories...

The other week when Random Cathy and I decided to get Starbucks for the evening, I bought a Fleetwood Mac CD.  She mentioned she was not a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac, ELO, or other similar 70's type of bands.  The music during that time reflected upon some bad memories. 

Now, here comes "Mel - The Rocker Chick" persona.  I know exactly what she is describing.  You know how you go to the movies and there is a soundtrack that plays in the background.  Well, there is always music that is part of our background.

For example, I associate The Eagles with the time I spent living in Phoenix, AZ.  My father was sent there for a 4 month training school and my mom packed up a bunch of stuff and me and we headed out there in October 1975.  The music played there was The Eagles.  I loved Phoenix, but I hated being away from my elementary school friends in West Monroe. 

Fleetwood Mac represents that time period that my father bought a boat.  My mom would pack a picnic lunch for the family and we would spend the day at the lake.  It was loads of fun.  Queen represented the time that part of the elementary school I attened, Kiroli, burned down and the 3rd grade and one 4th grade class was bussed to another school for about 4 months.  I remember listening to the various songs from "A Night at the Opera" on the school bus from the high school kids.

During a bleak period,  I had developed a soundtrack.  A friend of mine loved it because it truly captured how beaten down we were with work:

  • Back in Flesh - Wall of VooDoo
  • Whip It - Devo
  • Working In a Coalmine - Devo
  • Do the Brown Nose - Dead Milkmen
  • Big Time Operator - Dead Milkmen
  • I Walk the Thinnest Line - Dead Milkmen
  • Head Like a Hole - Nine Inch Nails
  • Happiness in Slavery - Nine Inch Nails
  • Help Me I Am in Hell - Nine Inch Nails
  • Homicide - 999
  • Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck - Prong
Granted, it was not the best of times, but I always laugh at it because we just took our anger out by listening to the list.  That was over 10 years ago.  My friend mentioned that he listens to the XM station for hard core punk for that reason.  I always laugh - Yep - banging my head at the desk.  When you are frustrated and feel caught like a caged animal, sometimes, music is the best outlet.

I embrace the music.  I know there was a time when music was not on my high list.  I was burned out when playing clarinet.  I decided to quit my senior year as situations were getting pretty stressful.  My band director called me a "quitter" and said he had already planned on putting me into the concert band, rather than the symphonic band.  I no longer cared.  I hated the situation and he obviously was not very understanding.

That whole "quitter" business has been a huge thorn in my side.  I loved playing clarinet and probably would have continued, but I was not planning to be a musician - I was a tech geek.  However, to be called a "quitter" for letting something go that was causing a great deal of stress was wrong.  He never understood what was going on in my life and never cared.  I had better teachers than that, so in the end, I was better off.

Today, I am not so much into what is being played on the radio.  You will find me listening to alternative music stations still, but I seek old music as well.  I love to listen to classical music when I am working on something or reading a book.

Quote of the Day:

Of course, I talk to myself.  Sometimes, I need expert advice - Anonymous

God's message to me for today - I truly believe this:

Today, we believe God wants you to know that ...

you are strongest when you are humble.

Only the weak act with arrogance. They put their pride on display so that others may think they are powerful. But those with great strength are humble because they have no need to prove it.



No comments:

Post a Comment