Saturday, January 25, 2014

Letter Writing: The Forgotten Art...

Not too long ago, I watched a news report on how cursive writing was being phased out of our schools.  Really?!  I know I have left my own cursive writing off to the side - I only use it for writing checks these days and even those are few and far between.  However, I think it is still important to know how to write in cursive.

Handwriting tells so much about a person.  Heaven only knows how many articles and books are written on the subject.  I just know it is like giving up that rite of passage.  Most of us have been through that process when we were in grade school.  It is a fine art.  I suppose cursive handwriting will become more like calligraphy - a hobby for those who like doing beautiful things with writing.  I hate to see that happen.

I suppose in this age of fast technology, we just have forgotten the art of writing a letter.  Sure, you can sit in front of a computer and quickly pound out a a note to a friend, click "Send" and your friend gets it within seconds.  However, just like with e-mail, somewhere deep inside, we love visiting the mailbox for that something special outside of the bills.  You get that package or even more, a hand written letter someone wrote for you.  It makes you feel special because someone sat down and took the time to write the letter.

As I begin that "Spring Cleaning" process within my apartment, I am going to look for the note cards I have bought and never used.  I think it is time to show various people how special they truly are and in a way, I hope, make their day a bit special as well.

Funny side note in regard to technology advances - a high school friend of mine was recounting a conversation her daughter and friend were having.  The friend needed to get a paper done and her computer was not working.  The friend suggested that she type it out on the typewriter.  Neither the daughter or the friend knew what a typewriter was.  Apparently, it is some ancient piece of equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment